I whipped up this lovely apple coleslaw after I received my WWOOF box of organic goodies. The apple is such an amazing addition that I now will not make coleslaw without it. I have actually made it about three time since. The Fat Boyfriend and I can’t get enough of it, we are both sneaking to the fridge and eating it by the spoonful. I mix things up depending on what’s cheapest, but I generally like to use a red onion or a red cabbage to give it a bit of color. You can also add cheese. I love cheesy coleslaw but cheesy apple coleslaw is insane. Smeared on some french bread and roast chicken it’s divine.
1/2 a small cabbage (red or green)
1/2 onion (red or white)
1/2 a carrot
100g of grated cheddar (optional but delicious)
300ml of mayonnaise
3 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
1/2 a teaspoon of celery salt
1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper
1. Finely shred the cabbage and onion and put into a bowl.
2. Grate in the carrot and apple and mix with the cabbage and onion.
3. Stir in the mayo and make sure everything is coated. Use less or more as desired.
3. Stir in the sweet chili sauce and grated cheese if using.
4. Season with celery salt and black pepper to taste. Voilà the best coleslaw you will ever eat!